First of all, you’re going to want to make sure you don’t panic. You don’t want to lose your cool. You want to keep calm. You probably need to pull out your insurance card. You’ll certainly want to give the police officer a statement. You might even want to take some photographs of the vehicles after the collision to show proof of how significant the impact was. But then there are some other things you’re going to want to do and we have outlined these in what we call our “8 Things You need to know if you’re Ever Involved in an Automobile Accident“. So, let me give them to you in listing form, and give you a little explanation:
1. First, you should always get medical attention as soon as you can. This documents proof that you have been hurt, this shows the insurance company that you didn’t wait around or wait too long and for sure, there is going to be some documented injury as quick and as soon as possible.
2. The other thing you’re going to not want to do is to give a recorded statement right away, and there are two reasons for this.
3. First, you’re probably not feeling very good after you have been involved in a motor vehicle collision so you may not be thinking clearly.
4. The second thing is: you may be taking some sort of pain medication and you really may not remember what you told the insurance adjuster. Be assured that the insurance adjuster is going to have this recorded, documented, and if you do in fact give a statement, they’ll tell you about it some weeks down the road.
5. The next thing you don’t want to do is feeling pressured into taking a settlement. Let’s suppose that you’ve had some significant injury that may require surgery or a significant amount of treatment down the road, and you’ve accepted their $1,000 offer, once you accept that money, they’re off the hook forever and you’ve bought yourself some future problems down the road.
6. The next thing you’ll want to do is to make sure you keep a good treatment log. Make sure you keep a copy of where you have been for treatment and all the medicines that you’ve taken. You’ll notice that if you order one of these documents online, we have a treatment log that allows you to list every place that you went for treatment and all the medications that you had.
7. The next thing you’ll want to know is to make sure what kind of insurance policy you have. You’ll hopefully have some form of uninsured or underinsured motorist policy in the event that the person who hit you has no insurance or has little insurance.
8. The next thing you’ll want to do is make sure that you’re honest about your medical history. Tell the doctors if you’ve had some prior history or some prior surgery before that’s very important because later down the line, there may come an issue as to whether or not you’ve had some previous back problems or neck problems and if you’ve been honest with your doctor, that will not come back to haunt you at all.
We’ve told you about keeping good records. Remember that there is a statute of limitations in Tennessee. If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident or any kind of accident in Tennessee where the injury is involved, you have one year from the date of the accident to file a suit in the county in which it happened or in the place in which the Defendant can be found. Those are some things that you need to keep in mind after you’ve had some type of accident in Tennessee.